Playboy Claims ‘Fair Use’ in Copyright Infringement Case

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Calling the complaint “vague and ambiguous,” Playboy Enterprises last week denied that it violated copyright protection laws by publishing a picture of Placerville, Calif., resident-turned-Playmate Colleen Shannon.

Last month, Playboy and Shannon were sued by photography studio owner Carla Calkins, who shot Shannon’s high school portrait in 1996.

Shannon gave Playboy the high school portrait included on her biography page in the 50th anniversary edition of the magazine in 2003, according to the suit, but she did not have permission to reproduce the photograph for public distribution.

Calkins, who owns Mother Lode Photography in Shingle Springs, Calif., is seeking damages, attorneys fees and profit related to the alleged infringement. The suit also asks that Playboy destroy all copies of the issue still in its control.

Calkins' suit alleges Playboy demonstrated “a pattern of willful disregard” for the copyrights of professional portrait photographers.

Playboy, in its rebuttal to the U.S. District Court in Sacramento, said that Playboy is protected by federal “fair use” statutes, allowing material to be used without permission for purposes of illustration or comment.

It also said that neither Calkins nor her studio sustained any financial losses from the photo's use and that Calkins is not entitled to recover damages or legal fees under federal copyright law.

Playboy, represented by counsel from the San Diego law firm Cooley Godward Kronish, called for a jury trial to decide the matter.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

Show More