Prosecutors Drop Most of the Charges Against Joe Francis

PANAMA CITY, Fla. — Prosecutors in the Girls Gone Wild case have said they will drop all but eight of the dozens of felony charges filed against Mantra Entertainment owner Joe Francis, citing lack of evidence.

Assistant State Attorney Mark Graham, who is handling the case against Francis, said he only had evidence to support second-degree felony charges of using children in sexual performances against Francis, after Judge Dedee Costello tossed the bulk of his evidence in July, citing police misconduct.

The second-degree felonies are punishable by up to 15 years in prison, but Francis’ attorney, Aaron Dyer said he plans to ask the judge to drop the remaining charges Jan 3., when the court will consider his motion to dismiss.

Francis was arrested in April, 2003 and charged with more than 40 criminal offenses. The arrest stemmed from an alleged incident in which Francis was accused of filming two 17-year-old girls in sexual situations in a Panama City Beach motel.

In filing his motion to reduce the charges, Graham addressed Francis’ contention that the girls lied about their ages.

“Knowledge of the victim’s age is not an element of the offense of use of a child in a sexual performance,” he said. “Whether the minor girls lied about their ages is irrelevant to the criminal charge.”

In the meantime, a civil suit in federal court filed by the two women against Francis is still pending.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Appeals Court Upholds Section 230 Immunity in XVideos Case

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has upheld a lower court’s ruling that Section 230 protects WebGroup Czech Republic from liability in a case involving user-uploaded CSAM on its tube sites.

JustFor.fans Wins Trademark Infringement Case Against Fraudulent Domain

The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) has ruled in favor of JustFor.fans in a case against a website using an infringing domain.

Aylo Moves to Settle Two 'Children of Pornhub' Class-Action Lawsuits

Aylo has agreed to terms for a settlement with the plaintiffs in two long-running class actions over allegations that former Pornhub parent company MindGeek knowingly allowed and profited from CSAM on its sites.

FSC Hails Members, Allies in SCREEN Act Victory

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) released a statement today praising its members and allies after a successful lobbying effort to prevent the SCREEN Act, a nationwide age verification bill, from advancing out of the Commerce Committee for a full vote on the Senate floor.

SCREEN Act Stalls in Senate Committee Over Technicality

The Senate Commerce Committee on Wednesday voted to approve the SCREEN Act, which would mandate nationwide site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content online, but a procedural issue blocked the bill from advancing to the full Senate.

SCREEN Act Back in Play: Federal AV Bill Faces Senate Hearing

The U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation has slated a markup session this week for the SCREEN Act, which would mandate site-based age verification of users accessing adult content online on a national level.

Arcom Targets 31 Adult Sites Over Age Verification

French media regulator Arcom on Wednesday announced that it is taking action against 31 adult websites that the agency says have failed to implement age verification as required under France’s Security and Regulation of the Digital Space (SREN) law.

New 'PROTECT Act' Would Make North Carolina Rules for Adult Sites Federal Law

Senator Mike Lee of Utah on Thursday introduced legislation that would impose strict new federal rules on adult sites and platforms, strongly echoing similar regulations imposed last year in North Carolina.

Dutch Police Raid Servers Hosting 'Motherless' Website

A Dutch National Police Corps cybercrime team on Tuesday conducted raids on hosting companies in three cities, seizing servers owned or used by controversial adult website Motherless, as part of an investigation into possible illegal content.

Show More