Porn Under Attack: Google Tightens Content Restrictions

LOS ANGELES — According to Morality In Media’s latest victory announcement, adult marketers may be facing further restrictions on advertising via search giant Google’s AdWords and Image Search programs.

Following its pronouncement of “a major win” against Verizon last week, the anti-porn group claims that “there is much to be optimistic about,” as it continues to press Google over the company’s long-standing support of free speech rights, seeking to see porn banned from the company’s services.

“I already told you about Google’s change in policy to stop all pornographic ads and ads that link to sexually explicit websites — but this win is better than we knew at first,” Dawn Hawkins, Executive Director of Morality In Media (MIM) and PornHarms.com, told supporters. “We have since learned that this change in policy makes website owners responsible for policing their sites, even if the questionable content is uploaded by a separate user.”

Hawkins hinted at the price of non-compliance with the updated policies.

“If the site owners fail to comply, they lose all of the ad revenue they were generating by allowing ads on their website,” Hawkins says. “This forces website owners to be responsible for what is on the [sites they link to] and gets them to self-regulate much better than before.”

She explains that Google is not only applying its new policy to “hardcore” porn, but also prohibiting ads linking to web pages that contain images or videos depicting strategically covered nudity, sheer or see-through clothing, lewd or provocative poses, and close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches.

Clearly, there is much subjectivity involved in some of these assessments; and while Google has yet to issue an official announcement on these tighter restrictions, MIM is claiming another major victory that places it “definitely at a historic point where the fight against pornography is finally changing direction.”

In appreciation of Google’s submission to its demands for censorship, MIM is encouraging supporters to sign a virtual “thank you” card, as part of its effort to galvanize grass-roots involvement in changing the way that private companies do business.

With little counterbalance to the constant cries for censorship, the debate continues, as MIM focuses on having government agencies deem porn to be a public health crisis.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More