Court Dismisses Paycom Antitrust Suit Against Mastercard

NEW YORK — Justices on the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals denied transaction processor Paycom Billing Services bid to overturn a lower court order dismissing its antitrust claims against credit card giant Mastercard.

In 2003, Paycom sued Mastercard, accusing the company of violating antitrust law by levying penalties for chargebacks against merchants who accept credit card charges in transactions where the physical card is not present.

The original suit also claimed that Mastercard violated antitrust law by conspiring with member banks to pass on fees to payment processing companies such as Paycom. A third component of the suit alleged that Mastercard created rules limiting the participation of foreign banks in Mastercard’s payment business.

In 2005, U.S. District Judge David Trager dismissed the case against Mastercard, saying that the credit card company’s practices did not violate antitrust laws.

The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Trager’s decision, ruling that Paycom lacked standing to pursue an antitrust claim against Mastercard and failed to sufficiently allege “concerted action” on the part of member banks.

While the court conceded that Paycom could have shown antitrust injury as a result of Mastercard’s alleged violations, it said the payment processor was not the best enforcer of the antitrust claims.

Paycom Communications Director Rand Pate told XBIZ the company will not pursue further legal action.

“We are pleased that the case has finished,” Pate said. “The lawsuit was brought by prior management that is no longer with the company, and we have no desire to be embroiled in litigation with a card association. We had already begun talks with Mastercard to dismiss the appeal when the court announced its decision, and had communicated to Mastercard that if we won the appeal we would not pursue the case further.”

Pate added that the payment processor is committed to working with Mastercard and other credit card companies in the future.

To read the opinion, click here.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More