Sex Toy Shop Sues S.C. Town in Federal Court

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Taboo, formerly Columbia's last adult retailer, has filed a federal suit against the city, which voted earlier this month not to extend its business license.

Shortly after Taboo opened in December of 2011, city officials hired an out-of-state attorney to revise the city’s zoning laws, dramatically limiting where adult businesses can operate.

Taboo was grandfathered in for two years; but after losing a recent appeal to extend its license, Taboo’s owner Jeff White is being forced to close up shop and send his four employees packing.

The lawsuit alleges that the City of Columbia “has engaged in a series of shifting, arbitrary, and dilatory tactics to prevent vesting of the business license because the City objects to the plaintiff’s use of the property to sell lawful adult material even though such material is protected by the First Amendment,” the Free-Times reported. 

"I'm closing my doors. I have to tell my employees they will be out of a job Dec. 31, and I am moving away from the city of Columbia because I am so frustrated,” White said when the city rejected his appeal earlier this month. “If they want me to fold, I will fold."

White also said that he has been unsuccesful in finding a new venue in the Columbia area to move his business.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Nexus Expands 'Bendz' Collection

Nexus has introduced a collection of anal plugs from its Bendz line.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Orion Debuts 2 New Styles From Cottelli Lingerie

Orion Wholesale has introduced two new styles from its Cottelli Lingerie line.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Magic Silk Expands 'Exposed' Line With 'Sinful' Collection

Magic Silk has expanded its Exposed line of lingerie with the Sinful collection.

Inside the Impact of New AV Laws on Sex Toy Ecommerce

Over the past few years, age verification (AV) has gone from a niche policy discussion to a very real, very immediate concern for anyone operating in the adult space.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

Orion Debuts New Styles From 'Svenjoyment' Line

Orion Wholesale has released three new styles from its Svenjoyment undergarment line.

Show More