ISPs Running TOR Part of German Porn Crackdown

SAN FRANCISCO — Raiding seven ISPs last week, German law enforcement is beefing up its efforts to combat the scourge of child pornography. A total of 10 servers were confiscated from the companies, all running the same program that keeps Internet traffic anonymous.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation distributes a program called TOR, which functions as an Internet traffic anonymizer. TOR aims to defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal anonymity and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships and state security, the project’s website said.

Since TOR strips web traffic of IP addresses, some users could be involved in nefarious activity, like child pornography, the German public prosecutor’s office alleges.

While TOR doesn’t actually contain or hold data as part of the program, it encrypts and redirects users like a proxy connection. This allows for encrypted packets to be send through the server.

The German government has yet to press charges against the ISPs, and its unlikely the police found incriminating evidence on the servers, experts said.

The Internet blogosphere has picked up on the story, suggesting the German government’s motivation in seizing the servers is to scare operators into not using TOR, therefore rendering all Internet traffic transparent.

The fallout from this case could have far-reaching implications. Many bloggers fear this prosecution could lead to the death of traffic anonymizers, where no one’s Internet usage could be masked by using additional software.

“I run TOR to get a certain level of privacy,” IT engineer and TOR operator Alexander Jansen wrote on his blog. “Staying anonymous is no crime. I want my privacy. This situation is disturbing, really disturbing ... the last thing I want to experience is the police kicking down my door, seizing my computer.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More