ICM Registry to Sue U.S., Appeals ICANN Decision

JUPITER, Fla. — ICM Registry will file a lawsuit against the U.S. government today in order to gain access to information withheld in a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request made in October.

ICM, which was unsuccessful in its bid for adults-only sponsored top-level domain .XXX, is seeking information that will provide the “extra evidence that provides the irrefutable proof” that the U.S. government intervened in the issue to prevent .XXX going ahead, ICM Registry’s Stuart Lawley told XBIZ

Lawley contended that, if true, it would also contradict public statements made by the Commerce Department that it “plays no role” in the day-to-day running of the Internet.

Last week, ICANN’s board, 9-5, rejected ICM’s bid out of “public policy concerns.” The company, based in both Jupiter, Fla., and Toronto, began its bid for the .XXX sTLD six years ago. ICM pledged to donate $10 of the proposed annual fee of $60 for a .XXX domain name to child-protection groups and to require users of .XXX to label their content.

ICANN, a nonprofit that operates under a memorandum of understanding with the Commerce Department, had initially approved moving forward with the proposal last June, but reversed the decision after the Commerce Department requested further review of the application.

ICM claims that the Commerce Department redacted 120 pages of 1,600 documents that the company requested in the FOIA. The company is trying to prove that the Commerce Department overstepped its authority by lobbying hard against .XXX.

“Our story needs to be told,” Lawley said. “We’ve been done wrong. I think what’s going on here is already clear, but I want the extra evidence.”

Meanwhile, ICM Registry has filed a reconsideration request with ICANN, claiming that the board voted on inaccurate information, were unaware of the “inappropriate involvement of the U.S. government in this process,” and had been misled by ICANN officials relative to contract negotiations with ICM.

That request will be reviewed by four of ICANN’s board members, three of whom voted against .XXX last week.

Lawley said that he's "not sure" how the ICANN review will go.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More