Private Awarded $500,000 in XonDemand Suit

LOS ANGELES — Private Media Group received a green light this afternoon from a federal judge to collect $500,000 from the operators of XonDemand.com.

XonDemand.com had earlier been found liable for infringing on 30 of Private's movies, with Private seeking up to $4.5 million in damages.

But U.S. Judge John Kronstadt said that after reviewing supplemental materials, Private still hadn't provided enough evidence to support the $4.5 million demand.

Private counsel recently supplied licensing agreements, including an explanation of their terms — a 50 percent revenue-share deal — to the court in their request for the multimillion-dollar award.

"Although the new submissions show that [Private] entered licensing agreements with others and the terms of such agreements, once again no admissible evidence has been provided as to the  amount of revenues generated by these agreements and how they compare to what [Private] received from [XonDemand] during the period when it was a licensee," Kronstadt said in his ruling.

"Moreover, [Private] still has not provided persuasive evidence as to what other, ancillary revenues [XonDemand] may have generated as a result of its infringing activities."

But, in the end, Kronstadt said that because XonDemand was liable for piracy of 30 titles of the more than 200 titles originally licensed, or about 15 percent of them, he would award statutory damages of $500,000, plus attorneys fees.

Kronstadt in his decision noted that he weighed the value of the infringment in terms of lost revenue as well as the societal value of the deterrent effect of a judgment in the case.

Private spokesman Jason Tucker told XBIZ that “this was not a straightforward copyright infringement case."

"This case was the byproduct of a terminated agreement so again it was not as clear cut as our other cases," he said. ""We are happy with the judgment and look forward to collecting it from XOD and personally from its president, Frank Ryan.”

The case against XonDemand began in August 2010 when Barcelona-based Private said it discovered  that XonDemand was "committing over 30 separate instances of copyright infringement and over 1,000 separate and distinct instances of trademark infringement" by continuing to rent Private videos by the minute or flat rate after a deal between the two companies was terminated.

XonDemand contended it never received a termination letter, all the while paying commissions to Private, and that it removed content "immediately after someone at XonDemand learned of this lawsuit."

Later, industry attorney Clyde DeWitt told the court that he had difficulties with his client, XonDemand, because the company has only paid a fraction of its attorneys fees and that he'd been having difficulty communicating with the company, specifically Ryan, XonDemand's president, who didn't return messages.

At one point, a settlement deal was in the works to transfer XonDemand.com to Private, Tucker earlier told XBIZ.

"The settlement agreement was all there, but we never got the signature," he said at the time.

XonDemand has been without representation in recent courtroom proceedings against the company, including Wednesday's hearing in Kronstadt's courtroom.

XBIZ was unable to reach Ryan by post time.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Reagan Foxx Headlines 'Mom's Little Cuck' From Reality Junkies

2023 XMAs MILF Performer of the Year Reagan Foxx toplines "Mom’s Little Cuck" from Mile High Media studio imprint Reality Junkies.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Elegant Angel Debuts James Avalon Drama 'Summer & Joy'

Elegant Angel has released the first installment of the James Avalon-helmed drama "Summer & Joy."

Octavia Red Stars in 'Lipstick on the Glass' From Deeper

Reigning XMAs Girl/Girl Performer of the Year Octavia Red stars with Ashley Lane and Mannie Coco in "Lipstick on the Glass," from Vixen Media Group studio imprint Deeper.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

Show More