Mr. Google Goes to Washington

WASHINGTON — Internet giant Google hasn’t always done things by the book, but a recent decision to join the Washington lobbying world full-force could be a sign that the firm is growing up.

Google, which has been the focus of government attention on fronts ranging from privacy to copyright infringement, has hired several lobbying firms that have ties to Republican leaders like Party Chairman Ken Mehlman, House Speaker Dennis Hastert, and Sen. John McCain.

Last year Google retained the services of the bipartisan lobbying firm Podesta Mattoon. A consultant for that firm, Lauren Maddox, believes that the lobbyists will help Google plead its case on everything from privacy to business practices in China.

Google recently won a mixed victory against the government, when a federal court ordered the firm to turn over 5,000 Internet addresses. However, the court stopped short of ordering Google to disclose 5,000 search queries. While that victory drew praise from privacy advocates, the Electronic Frontier Foundation expressed concerns at the time that a larger problem still loomed because Google still had a stockpile of private data that government regulators could seek access to at a later date.

While some lament the sight of an Internet rebel making establishment inroads, Google sees the move as a chance to lobby for its core values.

"We've staked out an agenda that really is about promoting the open Internet as a revolutionary platform for communication," Alan Davidson, policy counsel for Google, said. "It's been the growth of Google as a company and as a presence in the industry that has prompted our engagement in Washington."

An upcoming engagement to watch is the fight over whether or not fees should be charged for heavy data traffic, like streaming video.

"Our belief is that this is going to be an issue of great concern for consumers," Davidson said. "The telephone companies have been lobbying these committees for generations. Our industry is very young."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More