FSC Condemns Super Bowl Stunt

CANOGA PARK, Calif. – Contrary to the general public's perception of the Free Speech Coalition's (FSC) firm and unrelenting stance in support of free speech rights, the FSC has made it clear that the Super Bowl antics were shocking and inappropriate and should in no way be confused with free speech issues as they relate to adult entertainment.

According to FSC Executive Director Kat Sunlove, the coalition's main office received a flurry of phone calls at the beginning of this week from members of the press thinking that FSC would be in support of the halftime entertainment that is currently being investigated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for indecency.

"We see this as adult entertainment, but it doesn't belong at the Super Bowl," she told XBiz. "It is totally a family show and it was very insensitive of the producers to present a show like that – not just the breast, but the entire performance was very sexualized. We all know what that stuff is supposed to symbolize, but a 5-year-old doesn't. The media continues to misunderstand us. They think the adult entertainment industry is behind this sort of thing."

In response to media requests, the FSC issued a statement Wednesday to clarify its position and point out the discrepancy between responsible adult entertainment content and inappropriate and tasteless behavior on national television.

Sunlove told XBiz that in the FSC's opinion, the entire halftime performance had "distinctly" sexual overtones and was therefore inappropriate for a family show such as the SuperBowl.

Joan Irvine, executive director for Adult sites Against Pornography (ASACP) agreed that the current investigation into the Super Bowl halftime show is justified.

"No one was given the opportunity to consent to viewing this very sexual performance," Irvine told XBiz. "If one of our Approved Members had so flagrantly disregarded one of the basic premises of ASACP's Best Practices: 'Protecting children from unknowingly viewing adult content,' we would be conducting an investigation too."

Just last month, ASACP added two new items to its Best Practices list for adult sites, including a recommendation that all e-marketing material be labeled with "ADV:ADLT," and that all adult index pages include disclaimers, age verification, and exclude images that would expose children from unknowingly viewing adult material.

Sunlove added that the FSC believes it is crucial to give parents adequate and timely warning that adult-oriented material is about to be aired.

"For example, people and parents know what children will view if they let them watch 'Sex in the City,' or programs labeled as adult themed," Sunlove said in a statement. "That is obviously not the case with the Super Bowl, which is expected to be family fare, a G-rating, not NC-17."

Sunlove concluded her statment by saying: "It is significant that this show was produced by MTV, not by any adult-oriented group. The adult entertainment industry would never have offered such titillating fare for a family show. There is a time and a place for adult entertainment and the Super Bowl is neither."

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More