'Appstore' Court Decision Could Be Good News for MiKandi

SEATTLE — This week’s initial ruling against Apple in its trademark dispute that allows Amazon.com to keep the name “Appstore” for Android might be good news for adult app provider MiKandi.

MiKandi changed the name of its “app store” to the “MiKandi App Market” after it was hit with a cease and desist order from Apple earlier this year.

The company felt it didn’t have the deep pockets to go head-to-head with Apple’s lawyers.

“The bottom line was that our pockets are not deep enough to defend ourselves should Apple go after us. So we made the change a few months ago, shortly after the news of the C&D (cease and desist) went public. The ironic thing is we’re known as the porn app store because of Steve Jobs,” MiKandi co-founder Jen McEwen told Geekwire in an email.

In her decision this week, U.S. District Judge Phyllis Hamilton rejected Apple’s request for a preliminary injunction against Amazon and wrote, “The evidence does show that Apple has spent a great deal of money on advertising and publicity, and has sold/provided/furnished a large number of apps from its AppStore, and the evidence also reflects actual recognition of the ‘App Store’ mark. However, there is also evidence that the term ‘app store’ is used by other companies as a descriptive term for a place to obtain software applications for mobile devices.”

As a result, McEwen said that the trademark dispute may be a positive for her company pointing to Jobs' comment at the iPhone OS 4.0 event last year, “You know, there’s a porn store for Android. Anyone can download them. You can, your kids can. That’s just not a place we want to go.”

“Actually maybe Apple has a soft spot for us,” McEwen wrote in her email. “Their CEO was our top promoter last year, and they only sent us a C&D, but they sued Amazon for infringement.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More