Korea Set to Decoy Email Spammers

SEOUL, Korea — The Korean government plans to crack down on email spammers by ensnaring them with decoy mail accounts, the Ministry of Information and Communication said Thursday, adding it plans to check the viability of the trap system — managing a number of email accounts to lure spammers — in coming months.

“Illegal marketers become more elusive but most recipients of the bulk mails do not report the cases to us,” ministry Director Jang Seok-Young said. “As a result, some shrewd marketers are off our radar. If cyber spam continues after March, when punishment has been strengthened, we will seek ways to phase in the trap system to crack down on it.”

The ministry is working in collaboration with its subsidiary, the Korea Information Security Agency, which tracks hackers and their behaviors through its decoy network, dubbed HoneyNet.

A total of 1,000 bait handsets also check every mobile spam and advertising call. The phones identified about 1,700 mobile spammers last month alone.

Currently, sending promotional emails en masse is not necessarily illegal as long as the content reveals its commercial intent and informs recipients of how to take themselves off the mailing list.

Violators of the current regulations — based on the opt-out formula variation — are subject to a maximum $30,857 in fines but are not criminally liable.

Starting March 31, however, things will become tougher for mass mailers. Sender of mass email could be sentenced to a year in prison.

In 2003, Korea's Internet users reportedly received about 29 spam emails daily. In 2004, that number dropped to 14 daily and in 2005 it dropped to only seven daily spam emails, thanks to various anti-spam measures taken by the MIC, including preventing emails sent by confirmed spammers and those coming from unauthentic address users from reaching recipients.

But while the government prepares to crack down on illegal marketers, the marketers are becoming more sophisticated and sometimes find convenient loopholes, Seok-Young added.

“I don't think we can reduce the number of daily spam mails to less than the current seven mails with conventional methods,” Seok-Young said. “To advance one step further, we need a new framework like the trap system.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Supreme Court Rejects Trump Tariffs

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

Show More