PROTECT IP Act Would Grant Swift Domain Seizures

WASHINGTON — Legislation that would allow the Justice Department to seize domains suspected of infringement and force search engines to stop returning results of them is back on the table.

The PROTECT IP Act also would allow copyright holders to seek court orders on their own without waiting for government agencies to intervene on their behalf and allow court orders against third parties providing services to infringing sites.

Under the act, third parties, including "interactive computer services" and "servers of sponsored links," would be forced to cease linking to websites suspected of infringement.

This portion of the act, formally called the Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011, would be particularly menacing to online companies because it would affect potentially any service or web page where a URL of a suspected infringer might turn up.

"Despite some salient differences in the new version, we are no less dismayed by this most recent incarnation than we were with last year's draft," says Abigail Phillips, an Electronic Frontier Foundation staff attorney, referring to COICA, or the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act.

"Consider whether Viacom would have bothered to bring a copyright infringement action against YouTube — with the attendant challenges of arguing around the DMCA safe harbors — had it had this cause of action in its arsenal," she says. "The act includes language that says it's not intended to 'enlarge or diminish' the DMCA's safe harbor limitations on liability.

"But make no mistake, rights holders will argue that safe harbor qualification is simply immaterial if a site is deemed to be dedicated to infringement."

Full text of the Protect IP Act of 2011 is available here.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More