Second Conviction in History for Obscene Email

PHOENIX — A Manhattan Beach, Calif. native recently became the second person in U.S. history to be convicted for the transmission of obscene email messages. Kirk Rogers had been accused of masterminding a computer system that sent out several hundred thousand unsolicited emails advertising adult products and websites.

Rogers pleaded guilty to the charges in federal court in Arizona last week, admitting the system he managed had violated the U.S. Can-Spam Act and acknowledging responsibility for more than 600,000 complaints that flooded American Online during the first half of 2004.

Emails sent by Rogers included advertisements for several adult websites, many of which included graphic images embedded in the emails. The images by themselves were enough to pin four counts of felony obscenity charges against Rogers in the case.

Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for spam analysis firm Sophos, welcomed the news of Rogers’ conviction.

“Firm action is required by the authorities to send a strong message to spammers that their activities are unacceptable,” Cluley said. “The U.S. computer crime forces should be congratulated for catching someone else who was contributing to the menace of spam email.”

Rogers’ clients, listed as Jennifer Clason, Jeffrey Kilbride and James Schaffer are scheduled for Can-Spam-related trials in May.

As part of his plea, Rogers must forfeit any money earned through his spam operation. Estimates of his earnings were not given, but authorities said he could face up to five years in prison for his actions.

Rogers’ sentencing is scheduled for June 5.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Show More