.XXX Moving Forward With IFFOR Formation After ICANN Vote

PALM BEACH, Fla. — After seven years of lobbying and spending millions on the initiative, ICM Registry's Stuart Lawley is moving forward with the next step of the .XXX proposal, which was approved on Friday by ICANN and set for a general launch in September.

"After seven years of triumphs and tribulations, I am pretty relieved it is all over," Lawley told XBIZ on Monday.

Later this week, IFFOR's policy council will begin selecting up to nine individuals to hold posts to the group's board. So far, Lawley said, there are 21 "strong" candidates in the field.

IFFOR, or the International Foundation for Online Responsibility, will act as the regulation czar for .XXX, funded primarily by .XXX domain name holders.

"We are trying for a blend — from studio heads to performers — and we will select five or six this week," he said. "We interviewed three candidates at the ICANN meeting in San Francisco."

Just days after ICANN's official blessing, Lawley said the numbers of pre-reserved .XXX domains is currently at 302,000 and that it is right about the level where ICM Registry's business plan estimated.

Lawley also said that .XXX has signed on two Founders member companies and is in talks with 18 others, with an eventual cap of 30. Founders members are for those companies with existing large portfolios vowing innovative ideas for their sites.

The benefits of .XXX for online adult providers, Lawley said, include predictable revenue streams, greater customer retention and the chance to take a proactive and responsible approach to their web presence.

"While, back in 2004, we would have sold more domain names, we think .XXX is now more relevant than ever," he said. "The [adult entertainment] industry needs a shot in the arm by dealing with piracy and embracing innovation; in addition there will be a better trust level over the sites because they will be safer and filtered free from viruses, identity theft, credit card fraud and inadvertent exposure to child abuse images."

.XXX will experience three tracks within the Sunrise period for top-level domain, two of which will be routes to conventional domain name registration by the adult industry companies. The third will be a route for businesses and organizations that consider themselves not to be members of the sponsored community to secure a blocked name.

Lawley said that .XXX, when it rolls out in September, will include a "revolutionary payment system" that will work alongside conventional adult payment processors systems, an idea he thinks will draw more paying consumers to adult sites.

"It will be designed as an iTunes-meets-Paypal [processing system] where consumers will be able to make micropayments with a dollar here, a dollar there," said Lawley, who noted that it would facilitate multiple currencies and be available in more than 120 countries.

While Lawley fought hard to push .XXX through, he continues to be adamant about defending .XXX domain owners if they were to be beset with possible legislation from political foes of adult entertainment, vowing again to instate a "fighting fund" of $250,000.

"And that figure will go up substantially," Lawley said. "[.XXX's] responsible self regulation is the best way to fend off onerous and clumsy legislation."

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Show More