More Than $5M Awarded in AOL Spam Case

ALEXANDRIA, Va. — Christopher William Smith sent literally billions of unsolicited emails through American Online channels during the last several years, touting everything from penis growth to preparatory education, to say nothing of thousands upon thousands of pornographic website advertisements. And it’s going to cost him.

Smith, who AOL spokesman Nicholas Graham calls “the poster child for the Can-Spam Act,” was ordered to pay AOL more than $5.3 million this week as penalty for his actions.

The judgment, which was issued by U.S. District Judge Claude Hilton, orders Smith to pay AOL $5.3 million in damages and $287,000 in legal fees.

In his ruling, Hilton said Smith “refused to participate in this case, willfully disregarding discovery obligations and failing to comply with multiple court orders.”

AOL filed the civil suit in 2003 under the Can-Spam act.

“This is someone we've been pursuing for three years,” Graham said. “It's one of the largest judgments we've received.”

Smith is currently in Minnesota while he awaits trial on criminal charges relating to the alleged operation of an illegal online pharmacy.

The victory for AOL this week is not the first for the Internet behemoth. According to Graham, the company has so far won tens of millions of dollars in spam cases.

Smith’s attorney would not comment on the case but said they plan to appeal the ruling on the grounds that the Can-Span act is unconstitutional.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research outfit SWR Data has published a report on the performance of clip platforms and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for December, January

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for December and January.

Jim Austin Joins CrakRevenue Team

Online industry veteran and business strategist Jim Austin has been hired by CrakRevenue.

Judge Dismisses NCOSE-Backed Suits Against Adult Sites Over Kansas AV Law

A federal judge on Tuesday dismissed lawsuits brought against two adult websites in Kansas for alleged violations of the state’s age verification law.

Aylo/SWOP Panel Spotlights Creators' Struggle for Digital, Financial Rights

Aylo and Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP) Behind Bars presented, on Tuesday, an online panel on creators’ rights, debanking and deplatforming.

AV Bulletin: Canada, Italy, Australia Updates

Since the Supreme Court’s decision in Free Speech Coalition v. Paxton, more state age verification laws have been enacted around the United States, as well as proposed at the federal level and in other countries. This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Show More