Microsoft Admits Giving Feds Search Data

WASHINGTON — Microsoft publicly admitted today it had complied with a U.S. Department of Justice subpoena for users’ search data from the MSN search service, a subpoena that Google so far has refused to obey.

Writing on his official Microsoft MSN blog, Search Development and Test General Manager Ken Moss stressed that no personally identifiable information was given to the government in complying with the request.

“Let me start with this core principle statement: privacy of our customers is non-negotiable and something worth fighting to protect,” Moss said. “With this data [given to the DOJ] you can see how frequently some query terms occurred. You cannot look up an IP and see what they queried.”

Moss said that in complying with the request, Microsoft handed over a random sample of pages from the MSN index and some aggregated query logs that “listed queries and how often they occurred.”

In other words, the company gave the government data that details key words MSN search customers enter over an extended period.

“Absolutely no personal data was involved,” he said.

Yahoo also has complied with a similar subpoena.

The recent requests by the DOJ have touched off a number of privacy concerns, with many opponents arguing that the type of information someone searches for on the Internet defines the user’s personality, and is therefore an invasion of privacy, regardless of whether or not the individual is personally identified.

Privacy groups also have theorized that the initial request by the DOJ, though relatively innocuous, could lead to larger invasions.

“If … the Justice Department finds search strings like 'child porn' or 'naked children,' could they not then go back and ask [the search engine] for the user's Internet address?” said Chris Jay Hoofnagle of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, one of several groups vocally opposed to the government’s requests.

Although Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has called the privacy concerns “over blown,” the subpoenas mark a clear move on the part of the Bush administration to revive the spirit of the infamous Child Online Protection Act shot down by the Supreme Court more than two years ago.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More