Microsoft Admits Giving Feds Search Data

WASHINGTON — Microsoft publicly admitted today it had complied with a U.S. Department of Justice subpoena for users’ search data from the MSN search service, a subpoena that Google so far has refused to obey.

Writing on his official Microsoft MSN blog, Search Development and Test General Manager Ken Moss stressed that no personally identifiable information was given to the government in complying with the request.

“Let me start with this core principle statement: privacy of our customers is non-negotiable and something worth fighting to protect,” Moss said. “With this data [given to the DOJ] you can see how frequently some query terms occurred. You cannot look up an IP and see what they queried.”

Moss said that in complying with the request, Microsoft handed over a random sample of pages from the MSN index and some aggregated query logs that “listed queries and how often they occurred.”

In other words, the company gave the government data that details key words MSN search customers enter over an extended period.

“Absolutely no personal data was involved,” he said.

Yahoo also has complied with a similar subpoena.

The recent requests by the DOJ have touched off a number of privacy concerns, with many opponents arguing that the type of information someone searches for on the Internet defines the user’s personality, and is therefore an invasion of privacy, regardless of whether or not the individual is personally identified.

Privacy groups also have theorized that the initial request by the DOJ, though relatively innocuous, could lead to larger invasions.

“If … the Justice Department finds search strings like 'child porn' or 'naked children,' could they not then go back and ask [the search engine] for the user's Internet address?” said Chris Jay Hoofnagle of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, one of several groups vocally opposed to the government’s requests.

Although Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has called the privacy concerns “over blown,” the subpoenas mark a clear move on the part of the Bush administration to revive the spirit of the infamous Child Online Protection Act shot down by the Supreme Court more than two years ago.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pearl Industry Network Launches 'TrustLink' Verification Platform for Creators

Trade group Pearl Industry Network (PiN) has launched TrustLink, its free verification platform for creators.

UPDATED: Supreme Court Rejects Tariffs, Trump Responds

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry, prompting the president to announce a new tariff strategy as a workaround.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Show More