New Indecency Legislation Expected

WASHINGTON — Even staunch supporters admit they face major 1st Amendment issues with new indecency legislation being bantered around Washington this week, but with several new initiatives announced during Thursday’s Senate Commerce Committee hearing on Internet pornography, it’s clear that indecency laws are heading for a change.

“Whatever we reach by consensus is going to happen now,” Chairman Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, said at the hearing. “[But] whatever we mandate is going to go to court.”

The biggest pressure from lawmakers at the hearing has so far fallen on the TV industry, which is why Stevens invited TV industry executives to the hearing in the hopes of hashing out a voluntary self-policing plan that would avoid the need for further legislation.

So far, four content regulation bills remain stalled in his committee, including one that would increase penalties for indecency from $32,500 to $500,000, capping the maximum charged at a whopping $3 million a day. Another proposed bill, S. 616, targets video distributors, giving the Federal Communications Commission 60 days to figure out if children are protected by current distribution technology on a case by case — company by company — basis.

If after 60 days the distributors are found at fault, the bill would allow the FCC to further penalize an infringing company.

The only bill to spur active involvement from broadcasters so far is S. 946, which would require a major increase in the amount of “kid friendly” programming currently available. EchoStar, for example, which owns the Dish Network satellite system, announced during Thursday's hearing a new “DishFamily” network, which would offer 32 “family programming” channels.

Representatives at Ad Council also made it known during the hearing that the Council would create public service announcements to educate consumers on content blocking technology, including PSA’s on the infamous V-chip. Furthermore, broadcasters plan to display a TV program’s content rating during every commercial break, rather than merely during the opening of the show as is done now.

“Every parent in America has the total power to control all the television that is dispatched to their homes,” said former movie lobby chief Jack Valenti, who helped organize the Ad Council initiative.

Valenti, a strong proponent of self-policing in the industry, warned legislators that indecency laws were a dangerous water to tread.

“Don't torment and torture the 1st Amendment,” he said.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More