Privacy Advocates Decry Google Subpoena

WASHINGTON — Privacy advocates throughout the country have responded with uniform opposition to attempts by the Bush administration to force Google to hand over search engine records that detail what users are searching for online, despite the fact that the Justice Department said Friday it had already obtained compliance on similar requests of America Online, Yahoo and Microsoft.

“This is the camel's nose under the tent for using search engines and all kinds of data aggregators as surveillance tools,” Jim Harper, director of information policy studies at the Cato Institute, told the Associated Press.

According to the subpoena, which was filed last year, Federal prosecutors embattled in a case with the American Civil Liberties Union over the Child Online Protection Act want Google to cough up more than a million records.

“The production of those materials would be of significant assistance to the government's preparation of its defense of the constitutionality of this important statue,” prosecutors said in the filing.

But groups like the libertarian Cato Institute, as well as the Electronic Privacy Information Center, Search Engine Watch and the Center for Democracy and Technology have staunchly disagreed with the government’s proposed intent, as have ranking democrats on the Hill.

Google has so far refused to comply with the request.

Rep. Edward Markey, D-Mass., said he would attempt to placate privacy concerns with a proposed bill that would prohibit the storage of “personally identifiable information” obtained on Internet search engines.

“Internet search engines provide an extraordinary service, but the preservation of that service does not rely on a bottomless, timeless database that can do great damage despite good intentions,” said Markey, who wants personally identifiable information to automatically erase from a search engine’s database after a reasonable time period.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales told reporters in Washington Friday that privacy concerns surrounding the subpoena were overblown.

“We're not asking for the identity of Americans,” he said. “We simply want to have some subject matter information with respect to these communications. This is important and we will pursue this matter.”

But Chris Jay Hoofnagle of the Electronic Privacy Information Center surmised that obtaining such seemingly innocuous information could have dreadful results.

“If Google hands over the search logs and the Justice Department finds search strings like 'child porn' or 'naked children,' could they not then go back and ask Google for the user's Internet address?” Hoofnagle said in an official statement Friday.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Studio Vanniall Signs Exclusive Partnership Deal With PAYSITE

Studio Vanniall has signed an exclusive partnership deal with PAYSITE.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches by Country for June, July

AEBN has released the list of popular searches from its straight and gay theaters, by country, for June and July.

Appeals Court Upholds Section 230 Immunity in XVideos Case

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has upheld a lower court’s ruling that Section 230 protects WebGroup Czech Republic from liability in a case involving user-uploaded CSAM on its tube sites.

Aylo Moves to Settle Two 'Children of Pornhub' Class-Action Lawsuits

Aylo has agreed to terms for a settlement with the plaintiffs in two long-running class actions over allegations that former Pornhub parent company MindGeek knowingly allowed and profited from CSAM on its sites.

Tigerlilly Launches 'SugarCoatedSweethearts' Through PAYSITE

Tigerlilly has launched SugarCoatedSweethearts.com through PAYSITE.

ASACP Marks 30-Year Anniversary

ASACP is celebrating 30 years of operation, during which it has received over 1.3 million reports from web admins and the public about suspected child pornography.

AEBN Announces Isiah Maxwell as Top Male Boy/Girl Performer for Summer 2026

AEBN has revealed its top 10 male Boy/Girl performers for summer 2026, with Isiah Maxwell landing atop the leaderboard.

JMan Launches AI Companion Solution for Adult Websites

Online industry veteran JMan has launched Orkestrait, an AI companion solution designed specifically for adult websites.

Johnny Sins Launches 'Fangate' Platform for Account-Free Content Sales

Johnny Sins has officially launched Fangate, a platform that allows creators to sell content directly to fans without requiring a user account or subscription.

TSBlondieNYC Launches Official Website Through PAYSITE

TSBlondieNYC has launched an official website through PAYSITE.

Show More