New Cyber Blackmail Trend

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Just on the heels of a report from the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) that the year 2003 was overrun with cyber crime incidents which rose 60 percent from last year, news out of the United Kingdom is warning of a new cyber blackmail trend aimed at small businesses and office workers.

According to authorities, the cyber shakedown is happening in greater numbers than previously seen at the beginning of this year and is being waged by scammers who threaten average PC users that if financial demands are not met, porn files will be downloaded or company files will be randomly deleted.

Cyber crime authorities are finding that cyber blackmail is difficult to trace because of the small amount of money that is exchanged and because the threats often take place in the workplace where reputations are guarded.

According to reports, cyber blackmail typically appears in the form of a random email from the extortionist to the office worker. The message states that the sender of the email has gained control of the user's computer through a glitch in the company network.

The threatening email also contains a demand for a ransom of some sort, which according to Reuters starts out in small increments of $20 in exchange for the scammer's promise to leave the PC user alone and save them any undeserved embarrassment from management if child porn or adult porn files are indiscriminately discovered on the employee's hard drive.

Over time, authorities say, the threats become more significant and the user or company find themselves being threatened with a slew of network-damaging prospects, like viruses being unleashed or having large amounts of data confiscated or destroyed.

If the user is duped into the threat, then funds are either transferred to the extortionist' bank account or the blackmail fee goes on a credit card. One security advisor told Reuters that once the money is paid, the victim is identified as a "soft target" and can pretty much expect the blackmailer to return.

"They prey on the nice secretary who wouldn't do anything wrong," a detective told Reuters. "When she gets one of these emails she thinks 'Oh, my goodness what am I going to do?' So she puts it on her credit card and transfers the funds to the (suspect's online bank) account and hopes it goes away."

Cyber blackmail is also being tracked on a larger scale and was seen earlier this year at a Scandinavian university that received a series of threatening emails claiming that the scammer was privy to security weaknesses in the university's network that would be exploited if money wasn't transferred to the blackmailers bank account, Reuters reported.

Meanwhile, the IFCC reported 120,000 online fraud cases over the past 12 months, compared to only 75,000 last year.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More