Danish Newspaper Threatens Apple Over iPad App

COPENHAGEN — A Danish tabloid newspaper is threatening to take Apple before the European Union tribunal to settle a dispute over its iPad app that contains a photo of a topless girl.

According to reports, Ekstra Bladet claims Apple has rejected the newspaper’s iPad application citing a “Page Nine” photo as being “offensive.”

But the newspaper’s editor-in-chief, Poul Madsen has refused to omit the shot from the iPad version of the publication and is willing to go to court to dispute the matter.

“This is madness. There’s absolutely nothing pornographic or offensive about her," Madsen said.

He added, “She is part of the soul of the paper. She’s a breath of fresh air, a ray of sunshine in a daily reality that is usually filled with violence and crime.”

Madsen is accusing Apple of unfair censorship and anti-competitive behavior since it cannot publish the entire version of the paper on the iPad.

“The Page 9 girl is not investigative journalism, but it is still an expression of how we perceive the freedom of speech in this country. So far, Apple has arrogantly ignored our inquiries,” Madsen said.

The editor added, “But that is about to change now that we’ve threatened to take the case to the EU-tribunal.”

The newspaper is also mounting a grassroots readers campaign to help expose what it's calling Apple’s double standards.

Madsen is asking its readers to send in examples of other tabloids, such as German paper Bild and Britain's The Sun that are allowed to show topless girls on their iPad applications.

“We want to point out the double standards and reveal how much bare skin Steve Jobs uses in his little app-land,” Madsen said.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

STD Hero Joins Pineapple Support as Sponsor

Better Life Science brand STD Hero has joined the ranks of over 70 adult businesses and organizations committing funds and resources to Pineapple Support.

2026 XBIZ Miami Speaker, Open-Floor Conversation Guide Lineup Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full speaker lineup for XBIZ Miami, the latest edition of the adult industry’s premier summer conference, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in Miami Beach.

2026 XBIZ Miami Conference Schedule Announced

XBIZ is pleased to announce the release of the full show schedule for XBIZ Miami, set to take place May 11-14 at the Goodtime Hotel in South Beach.

Show More