AFF Responds To Stern Criticism

LOS ANGELES — Earlier this week, during an interview with an online Christian media service, Patrick Trueman of the Alliance Defense Fund suggested the U.S. Justice Dept. look into “obscenity” charges against the new Howard Stern satellite radio show.

The response by Adult Freedom Foundation General Counsel Paul Cambria was swift and succinct.

“It’s just ridiculous,” Cambria said in an official statement.

Cambria was responding to statements made by Trueman on Family News in Focus on Jan. 9 that clearly implied the infamous shock jock should face Justice Department prosecution for his new satellite radio program.

“The Justice Department has regulatory authority over all obscene material,” Trueman said. “The FCC has authority over indecent material; a lesser standard and so the FCC is not likely to go after Howard Stern who will be broadcasting obscenity. That’s a matter for the Justice Department.”

The notion that Stern would in fact be broadcasting obscenity on his new program is unfounded, according to Cambria, who went on to accuse Trueman of simplistic reasoning.

“Legal obscenity is far removed from four letter words and fraternity type humor,” Cambria said. “It’s simple minded for Trueman to even suggest what Stern is doing fits the legal test for obscenity. The conduct necessary to constitute legal obscenity is light years away from what Stern does on his show. Any suggestion that it would be found obscene by any average adult is an insult to legal intelligence.”

Trueman’s statements followed a call by Robert Knight from the Culture and Family Institute for the Federal Communications Commission to consider regulating satellite radio. Cambria said Trueman’s own remarks were merely piggybacking Knight’s call.

“Clearly Trueman is pandering to the hopes and dreams of his financial backers by making such an outrageous statement,” Cambria said. “In my opinion the FCC has already gone to the ends of the earth with their overzealous enforcement policies. Now these right wing groups want to launch FCC enforcement into outer space. It just won’t fly with most Americans.”

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Better Life Science Launches 'Affiliate and Influencer' Initiative

CLIA-certified laboratory network Better Life Science has launched its affiliate and influencer program.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More