Appellate Court Denies Wilson’s Request for Release

BARTOW, Fla. — A Florida appellate court has denied alleged obscene picture peddler Chris Wilson’s request for immediate release, as reported in XBiz. Earlier this week, Judge J. Dale Durrance revoked Wilson’s bail and remanded him to custody at Polk County Jail.

Attorney Lawrence Walters today said defense counsel filed a motion at the Florida Supreme Court seeking “immediate release of Wilson from illegal detention" on an emegency basis.

“We're happy to see that the appeals court has ordered the Attorney General to respond to the petition on an expedited basis,” Walters said. “We are hopeful of securing our client's release from unlawful incarceration by the end of the year, if not by Christmas.”

Defense counsel also requested an order prohibiting any further bond revocation this week.

Following the court's decision, the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, the Free Speech Coalition and the First Amendment Lawyers Association today requested a state appeals court to release Wilson from jail.

“Sexual expression in cyberspace is protected by the First Amendment,” Gainesville attorney Gary Edinger said, who submitted the amicus brief on behalf of the three organizations. “It’s unprecedented for government officials to use imprisonment to prevent the distribution of material over the Internet.”

The 19-page brief filed today requests the Florida appellate court reverse Durrance’s ruling to revoke Wilson’s bail and remand him to custody.

“This case is typical of how obscenity law can be misused to censor unpopular speech,” Michelle L. Freridge, FSC executive director, said. “We are proud to stand with the ACLU and FALA in support of Chris Wilson, and we look forward to an expeditious and positive decision by the [appellate court] in this matter.”

Wilson, who operates an amateur-wife-and-girlfriend website, NowThatsFuckedUp.com, was accused of violating his bail agreement last week. Prosecutors contended that the continued use of the site violated the conditions of Wilson's release and filed a motion to revoke his $151,000 bail.

Wilson was arrested in October and is facing 301 obscenity charges for photos police allegedly found on his site, though he removed all explicit material from the site earlier this month. A pretrial conference is set for Feb. 7 at which time a trial date could be set.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More