Utah Attorney General Rebuffs FSC Lawsuit

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff has responded strongly against a lawsuit aiming to dismantle a new state registry that protects children on the Internet.

The Attorney General’s Office filed a motion to dismiss a complaint filed Nov. 16 in federal court by the Free Speech Coalition, which filed a federal suit against the state last month, claiming that the Act is unconstitutional. Shurtleff said that the state government will continue to “vigorously defend the fundamental right of parents to keep porn out of their homes.”

"This lawsuit shows the pornographers true colors,” Shurtleff said. “They claim a ‘right’ to market porn to adults, but by challenging our Child Protection Registry, they have proven their real intent to force smut on our children in our homes and schools.”

But FSC Communications Director Tom Hymes told XBiz the FSC expected the state’s motion to dismiss and feels it “does not substantially respond to any of our arguments.” He added that the FSC will file an amended complaint against the motion to dismiss, most likely in January 2006.

“Shame on [Shurtleff] for making baseless and erroneous statements designed to score political points,” Hymes said.

Utah’s Child Protection Registry went into effect on July 15. The law established a “Do Not Email” registry containing email addresses that belong to, or can be accessed by, Utah minors. It also criminalized the sending of prohibited email to any email address listed in the registry for more than 30 days.

More than 200 senders of adult content have already registered to comply with Utah’s law, by removing registered addresses.

But the FSC’s suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City, says the Act violates the right of free expression, treats e-marketers differently than other marketers and potentially prohibits interstate communications outside the state, among other claims.

Since July, state reports show thousands of parents have taken advantage of the Child Protection Registry, as well as scores of public and private school, which have placed school domains on the registry to keep adult advertisements out of Utah’s classrooms. The Child Protection Registry service is free to parents and schools and costs $0.005 per email address for adult industry marketers to ensure that inappropriate messages are not sent to minors.

However, Hymes said that the cost of “scrubbing” email lists against the registry database on a monthly basis could be prohibitive, leading to a chilling effect on legitimate Internet marketing.

Hymes also said the law is flawed in a number of ways, most significantly that it conflicts directly with the federal Can-Spam Act, which was enacted by Congress in 2003 to regulate and standardize email marketing in the U.S. In ratifying Can-Spam, Congress considered the creation of a national “Do Not Email” list, and directed the Federal Trade Commission to prepare a plan for implementation.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Appeals Court Upholds Section 230 Immunity in XVideos Case

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit has upheld a lower court’s ruling that Section 230 protects WebGroup Czech Republic from liability in a case involving user-uploaded CSAM on its tube sites.

JustFor.fans Wins Trademark Infringement Case Against Fraudulent Domain

The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) has ruled in favor of fan site JustFor.fans in a case against a website using an infringing domain.

Aylo Moves to Settle Two 'Children of Pornhub' Class-Action Lawsuits

Aylo has agreed to terms for a settlement with the plaintiffs in two long-running class actions over allegations that former Pornhub parent company MindGeek knowingly allowed and profited from CSAM on its sites.

FSC Hails Members, Allies in SCREEN Act Victory

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) released a statement today praising its members and allies after a successful lobbying effort to prevent the SCREEN Act, a nationwide age verification bill, from advancing out of the Commerce Committee for a full vote on the Senate floor.

SCREEN Act Stalls in Senate Committee Over Technicality

The Senate Commerce Committee on Wednesday voted to approve the SCREEN Act, which would mandate nationwide site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content online, but a procedural issue blocked the bill from advancing to the full Senate.

SCREEN Act Back in Play: Federal AV Bill Faces Senate Hearing

The U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation has slated a markup session this week for the SCREEN Act, which would mandate site-based age verification of users accessing adult content online on a national level.

Arcom Targets 31 Adult Sites Over Age Verification

French media regulator Arcom on Wednesday announced that it is taking action against 31 adult websites that the agency says have failed to implement age verification as required under France’s Security and Regulation of the Digital Space (SREN) law.

New 'PROTECT Act' Would Make North Carolina Rules for Adult Sites Federal Law

Senator Mike Lee of Utah on Thursday introduced legislation that would impose strict new federal rules on adult sites and platforms, strongly echoing similar regulations imposed last year in North Carolina.

Dutch Police Raid Servers Hosting 'Motherless' Website

A Dutch National Police Corps cybercrime team on Tuesday conducted raids on hosting companies in three cities, seizing servers owned or used by controversial adult website Motherless, as part of an investigation into possible illegal content.

Show More