Microsoft Launches MSN Newsbot

REDMOND, Wash. -- Not a day after being hit by $62 million in punitive damages after a jury decided that the software giant infringed on a patent held by a printing software company, Microsoft launched the beta version of an automated news service on its MSN Internet portal.

In what is being seen as a direct offensive strike against search site competitor and former beau Google, Microsoft went public today with Newsbot for the U.S. and international markets that can customize the selection of breaking news stories per region and per individual user.

Newsbot's primary function is to aggregate headlines from 4,000 online sources and then summarize its findings to fit a particular user profile, similar to the customization technology used by Amazon.com. Microsoft intends to accomplish this by using tracking technology and consumer data gathered from users of its ePassport member service.

Headlines are clustered by topic and displayed based on algorithms, Microsoft said in a statement.

Overture will provide paid text ads on the main Newsbot page and on all subsequent search pages. Microsoft renewed its contract with Overture in October of this year to provide paid search listings to its MSN network until 2005.

Many industry analysts are saying that Microsoft's new MSN site could potentially spell trouble for Google, which gathers information in a similar way but does not customize results. In May of this year, Google launched international versions of its news search service.

After thwarting Microsoft's advances over a potential merger, it appears that the software king has gone its separate way and is hard at work creating its own search engine technology, which had originally been its underlying interest in Google.

The beta stage of MSN's Newsbot comes in four languages, the company said, including English, French, Italian, and Spanish. Additional languages will be added as the search service gets legs and develops a user base.

The site will debut on MSN UK, France, Spain, and Italy, the company announced, and is designed to blend with MSN's multi-purpose international presence.

Newsbot was developed as a joint initiative with Moreover Technologies, a news data source that has formed prior technology alliances with Yahoo! and Ask Jeeves.

Microsoft's week didn't start out so well after a jury decided that the software king had willfully infringed on a patent held by Imagexpo, LLC, a subsidiary of SPX Corp.

The suit had been pending since October 2002 and involved a patented technology that Microsoft was allegedly using in its real-time NetMeeting conferencing feature. Microsoft claimed that it had developed the technology in-house before including it in the Windows operating system.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Show More