Spammers Fined Two Million

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – In the largest settlement in history against senders of spam email, a Santa Clara County Superior Court judge fined two spammers two million dollars in civil penalties for violating state laws that prohibit unsolicited commercial email, false advertising, and unfair business practices.

According to Attorney General Bill Lockyer's office, the point of the case was to send out a stern warning to email marketers that the state of California fully intends to enforce anti-spam laws to the maximum penalty in the future.

"We think other spammers will think twice about what they are doing,'' said a representative for Lockyer's office.

The company, PW Marketing based in Los Angeles, was first red-flagged by regulators last year as the originator of bulk emails advertising a book on how to be a spam email marketer. The book sold for $39 and was part of an aggressive and continuous email strategy, regulators said.

According to Lockyer's office, PW Marketing did not include valid contact information in the body of the emails so that recipients could unsubscribe, and were thereby in violation of a 1998 spam law that requires either a toll free number or valid contact information.

The law also requires email marketers to include the words "ADV" in the subject line, or "ADV:ADULT" for adult entertainment content.

After a prolonged investigation, PW Marketing was linked to defendants Paul Willis and Claudia Griffin. Lockyer's office pressed charges in September 2002.

The defendants did not make an appearance in court and prosecutors are not sure that the penalty will ever be received.

Judge William Martin also imposed business restrictions on the defendants.

According to prosecutors, because the charges against Willis and Griffin were civil, they will also be the subject of a Federal Trade Commission (FTC) suit.

Today's suit comes on the heels of last week's Senate-approved anti-spam bill that now faces the final stretch before it is enacted into law. That final process will include the drafting and approval of a similar bill in the House and then a signature from President George Bush.

The bill would direct the FTC to create a "do-not-spam" registry similar to the nationwide do-not-call list for telemarketers. It would enable consumers to opt-out of receiving future spam, and it would allow the FTC, state attorney generals, and Internet service providers to seek civil damages against spammers for $25 to $300 per email, and jail terms up to five years.

California also recently passed a statewide bill that goes in effect on Jan. 1. The law prohibits unsolicited email advertisements sent to or from any California email address, unless the recipient gives prior permission (under current law the recipient has to opt out), or has an existing business relationship with the sender. It also permits private individuals to sue spammers and collect actual damages, plus $1,000 per email and up to $1 million per incident.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More