SnapNames Gets Hit With Class-Action Suit

MIAMI — SnapNames.com on Monday was hit with a class-action suit after it was revealed Friday that a former top executive secretly bid on as many as 50,000 domain name auctions over the past four years.

The suit, which alleges that the domain name provider used shill bidders to manipulate auctions, was filed at Miami-Dade County Circuit Court on behalf of lead plaintiff Carlos A. Cueto and others who participated in online auctions for domain names.

Friday’s allegations made by officials at Oversee.net, which owns SnapNames and domain auctioneer, registrar and appraiser Moniker.com, now have turned into a suit, with others likely to come.

Attorney Santiago Cueto, who represents brother Carlos Cueto in the suit, claims that the suit is just “the tip of the iceberg in the domain-name industry” because the trade remains unregulated.

“The online community has been up in arms over what they feel has been an opaque system that just begs for transparency,” Santiago Cueto said. “It is impossible to know whether you are bidding against someone that isn’t working or affiliated with the company conducting the auction.”

SnapNames.com says that a former top executive secretly bid on as many as 50,000 domain name auctions over the past four years with the motive to drive up prices and enrich himself in the process.

Oversee said it learned about a month ago that the SnapNames executive had been bidding on its domain auctions in violation of company policy that bars employees from doing so.

The executive, who was one of the founding employees of the company and allegedly a vice president, ran up the bids with the motive to drive up prices and enrich himself in the process. He was later fired.

Oversee last week notified affected customers via email, stating that "in every auction where the employee's fictitious account submitted a bid which resulted in a higher price being paid by the winning bidder, SnapNames will offer a rebate, with 5.22 percent interest (the highest applicable federal rate during the affected time period), to affect customers for the difference between the prices they actually paid and the prices they would have paid, had the employee not bid in the auctions."

The message to customers said the bulk of the bidding occurred on auctions between 2005 and 2007, but that the executive’s bidding affected about 5 percent of total SnapNames auction since 2005.

Oversee also said the incremental value from the bidding represented approximately one percent of SnapNames' auction revenue during that same time.

Oversee alleges that the executive made the bids using an auction account set up under the alias "Hank Alvarez."

In certain cases where the executive won the domain name bid, he paid for the domain and then arranged to refund a portion of the winning bid amount to his account.

Attorney Santiago Cueto said as a result of the internal bidding, prices to purchase domain names were falsely inflated, leading to higher costs to buyers and greater profit for the defendants.

“Domain names are the last frontier for the average person to stake their claim on some very valuable property,” Santiago Cuetos said. “The defendants’ conduct has made it harder for people to do so and we intend to put a stop to this practice, which we perceive as being a major concern in the industry.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pearl Industry Network Launches 'TrustLink' Verification Platform for Creators

Trade group Pearl Industry Network (PiN) has launched TrustLink, its free verification platform for creators.

UPDATED: Supreme Court Rejects Tariffs, Trump Responds

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday ruled against the Trump administration’s sweeping tariffs, which have significantly impacted the pleasure industry, prompting the president to announce a new tariff strategy as a workaround.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Show More