AT&T to Open 3G Network to Competing VOIP Apps

CUPERTINO, Calif. — AT&T is finally getting some competition on the iPhone, but it won't come from archrival Google.

Starting today, the telecom giant will open its 3G information network to other Internet phone applications for the signature Apple device.

To date, AT&T had allowed other types of cell phones to make phone calls using what's called voice over Internet protocol, or VOIP, which powers such popular services as Skype.

But here's the problem: Because of AT&T's restrictions on its 3G network, users had been forced to find a Wi-Fi hotspot to make such calls. AT&T's 3G network offers far more comprehensive coverage.

This move likely comes as the result of a longstanding struggle between Apple and Google. Apple had block Google's VOIP app, called Google Voice, from the company's App Store. The FCC took notice and applied pressure to AT&T and change its policy.

Remarkably, Apple continues to resist the incursion of Google Voice, arguing that it isn't a VOIP app. Apple's rejection of the app reads as follows:

“The application has not been approved because, as submitted for review, it appears to alter the iPhone’s distinctive user experience by replacing the iPhone’s core mobile telephone functionality and Apple user interface with its own user interface for telephone call.”

Apple's move has drawn widespread criticism from the online tech punditry, including leading tech analyst Michael Arrington.

"We all know that the real reason Apple won’t let Google Voice through is that they are scared out of their mind that Android and Google Voice will eat their iPhone lunch over the long term," he said. "Apple can’t win the fight over the long term, but they sure are willing to say and do anything in the short term to stop the advance of Google."

Arrington was referring to Google's mobile OS, Android, which is available on various platforms with different telecom companies. Tech analyst Ian Paul noted that if AT&T resisted the push from other companies to offer VOIP apps on the iPhone, they might be left out in the cold.

"That may not be a big deal, but it draws a clear line in the sand between the closed platform of AT&T and Apple versus Google's open model available on other carriers," he said.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More