Wireless Companies Respond to ‘Net Neutrality’ Proposal

WASHINGTON — Following yesterday’s proposal by the chair of the Federal Communications Commission to impose new rules for mobile-web-access providers and broadband providers, some wireless companies — particularly AT&T — expressed discontent.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, delivered the announcement yesterday at the Brookings Institution, and said the FCC must be "a smart cop on the beat preserving a free and open Internet."

In a statement issued by AT&T, the company said it supported the existing neutrality principles for wired networks, and is even open to adding a fifth, but does not back the rules applying to wireless networks.

The company — which currently is the sole service provider for the iPhone — said wireless service is a competitive market that does not need regulation, and justified keeping restrictions on the amount of data wireless customers can use because wireless networks “are facing incredible bandwidth strains [and] require continued private investment at very high levels, and pro-active network management.”

AT&T also went on the offensive, calling the FCC’s plans a “bait and switch” scheme in which they were sold unrestricted blocks of the wireless spectrum last year in the organization’s auction for “billions more” than Verizon’s purchase of a block with limitations of keeping it open to any device and application.

Verizon, in a statement, also said it disapproved of adding new regulations.

“We believe that when the FCC reviews the record and looks at the facts, it will be clear that there is no current problem which justifies the risk of imposing a new set of regulations that will limit consumer choices and affect content providers, application developers, device manufacturers and network builders,” the company said.

According to reports, other wireless providers, including Sprint simply refused to comment on the issue.

Among the new regulations affecting wireless companies include consumer rights to access content and run applications of their choice.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Brazil Invites Public Input on AV Guidelines

Brazil’s National Data Protection Authority (ANPD) on Friday launched a public consultation on developing guidelines for age verification mechanisms under the country’s Digital Statute for Children and Adolescents (Digital ECA), which requires adult websites to age-verify users located in Brazil.

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Show More