Federal Judge Blocks Michigan Explicit Video Game Law

DETROIT — A U.S. District Court judge has issued a preliminary injunction to prevent enforcement of a state law that would restrict the sale of explicit video games to minors.

Had the law gone into effect on Dec. 1 as planned, retailers would have faced fines of up to $5,000 and up to 93 days in prison for selling sexually explicit or ultra-violent video games to customers under 18.

But trade associations, including the Entertainment Software Association, Video Software Dealers Association and Michigan Retailers Association, presented a united front in challenging the law. In September, they filed a suit charging that the law is unconstitutionally vague and illegally limits First Amendment rights of Michigan residents.

In his decision, Judge George Caram Steeh wrote that the law would “likely have a chilling effect on adult expression” and result in “self-censoring by game creators, distributors and retailers, including ultimately pulling T- and M-rated games off store shelves altogether.” Steeh added that “loss of First Amendment freedoms, for even minimal periods of time, unquestionably constitutes irreparable injury.”

The state now must go to federal court to prove the bill’s language is within the confines of the Constitution. The governor’s office said it is prepared for a fight.

“This was not an unexpected development, and it is simply just one step in the process of litigating a very important issue,” said Liz Boyd, a spokesperson for Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm. “The governor remains very committed to this issue and protecting Michigan's children.”

In passing the bill, state legislators relied heavily on research that claimed video games contribute to violence, aggression and other behavioral problems among minors. But Judge Steeh said the research was flawed and that it “is unlikely that the state can demonstrate a compelling interest in preventing a perceived harm.”

Michigan was one of three states to pass legislation in 2005 making it illegal to sell explicit games. Illinois passed a similar law earlier this year, and California followed suit after Michigan.

The gaming industry has filed suits to block the laws in both of those states. Federal courts previously have struck down video game restrictions approved by Washington state, Indianapolis and St. Louis County in Missouri, saying they encroached on the First Amendment.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

FTC Promises 'Vigorous' TAKE IT DOWN Act Enforcement

The Federal Trade Commission is warning platforms that the agency will strongly enforce the notice-and-removal requirements of the TAKE IT DOWN Act, which go into effect next week on May 19.

Court of International Trade Rejects Trump 'Replacement' Tariffs

The U.S. Court of International Trade on Thursday ruled that President Trump’s 10% global tariff under the Trade Act of 1974, imposed after the Supreme Court invalidated the administration’s broad “Liberation Day” tariff regime, is illegal — but stopped short of a nationwide injunction against the tariff.

UPDATED: Utah VPN Rule Enforcement Paused in Aylo Lawsuit

Provisions of a new Utah law making adult websites liable if minors in the state circumvent geolocation efforts to bypass age verification, which were set to come into force on Wednesday, have been put on hold until Sept. 3 in the case of Aylo, which filed suit in the matter.

Show More