Toledo Priest Sentenced

Toledo, OH -- After finding evidence of child pornography in the home of Father Stephen Rogers eight months ago, the priest was sentenced today in federal court to 21 months in a North Carolina prison, in addition to three years of supervised release. Rogers' sentence will commence over the next few weeks, the court stated.

The priest will begin serving the term of his sentence over the next few weeks, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western Division of Ohio told XBiz.

Rogers was sentenced to time at Butner prison and will be assigned to a unit for sexual offenders.

While many critics of the case say that the priest was given a lighter sentence than he deserved, Judge David Katz took into consideration Rogers' recent heart bypass surgery, prostate cancer, and the fact that he had no prior criminal record, before handing down his sentence in court.

Judge Katz also reportedly considered the priest's recent efforts to rehabilitate himself by entering a program shortly after his arrest.

Federal agents found evidence of child pornography in the priest's Toledo home in December 2002. Rogers pleaded guilty in May of this year on all charges in a deal worked out with the government.

During an opportunity to address the court, Rogers reportedly apologized for his actions and thanked those who have stood by him, including friends and fellow parishioners from the Toledo Catholic Diocese.

"Typically priests accused of sex crimes receive lighter sentences than others, which we find troubling. It is a very unfortunate and unsafe pattern," David Clohessy told XBiz. Clohessy is the national director for the Survivors Network of Those Abused By Priests.

"The good news is that for 21 months children will be safer," he continued. "And while we obviously can't say that everyone who has or deals with child porn is a child molester, I think history shows that many, many child molesters do own or deal with child porn."

The Toledo Diocese stated that it will not determine Father Rogers' future with the local parish until his sentence had been served.

"We thought it was appropriate that he take into account Father's past service but also appropriate to deal very strongly with the whole issue of child pornography," Rev. Michael Billian, Diocesan Chancellor, was quoted as saying.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

FSC Details Legislative Outlook for 2026

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has laid out the legislative outlook for the industry in 2026.

Show More