U.K. Blogger Facing Obscenity Charge for Rape Story

NEWCASTLE, England — A man is being prosecuted on charges of publishing a story on the Internet detailing the kidnap, torture, mutilation and murder of the U.K. pop group Girls Aloud.

Darryn Walker, 35, will appear before a judge later this month to face charges of writing and posting the blog on a fantasy porn website. The case is the first test of the 1959 Obscene Publications Act since the rise of the Internet, and is one of the few involving written words. The Act, which has never been updated, makes it illegal to publish material that tends to "deprave and corrupt" those reading or viewing it. The act was used in 1960 to prosecute Penguin Books for publishing D.H. Lawrence's novel "Lady Chatterley's Lover."

The blog article was headlined "Girls (Scream) Aloud" and reportedly described in detail the rape and killing of the girl group. Although the website is hosted elsewhere, prosecution was based on the alleged author being identified as a British citizen living in the UK.

The Internet Watch Foundation, an independent group dedicated to finding and reporting illegal online content, discovered the blog last year and informed the Crown Prosecution Service. Walker was arrested in February at his home in South Shields, near Newcastle, by officers from Scotland Yard's Obscene Publications Unit.

Walker was charged with the publication of an obscene article on July 10, and entered no plea before South Tyneside Magistrates, where he was granted unconditional bail. He is due to appear at Newcastle Crown Court later this month.

A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said it was unusual to see a prosecution which did not involve images. She said, "The vast majority of prosecutions brought under the Obscene Publications Act have related to images; be they photographs, computer-generated images or videos. It is very unusual to be prosecuted for a case involving the written word."

Girls Aloud became well-known in the U.K. in 2002 after appearing on a reality music show. They have had a record-breaking 18 consecutive top 10 singles. The group is made up of Nadine Coyle, Sarah Harding, Nicola Roberts, Kimberley Walsh and Cheryl Cole, who is now a judge on another reality music show.

Related:  

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Show More