1. PROTECT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS — Keep your email address off of newsgroups, bulletin boards and chatrooms. Be very careful about where you post your primary address — the less it shows up online, the more protected you are.
2. CREATE A 'SPAM' EMAIL ACCOUNT — Create a 'throw away' account with Yahoo or Hotmail to use when you need to sign in with an email account, but think your privacy is not protected.
3. MESSAGE RULES IN OUTLOOK / OUTLOOK EXPRESS — Allows you to filter mail delivery, block senders and automatically delete unwanted mail.
4. THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE — There are numerous applications specifically geared to filter spam.
5. SERVER BASED SOLUTIONS — Most major ISPs offer a spam filter as part of the package. These products analyze messages at the server level and keep the message from being downloaded and processed.