In a press release issued by the FDA, the organization offered the following warning signs linked to those products:
- Products claiming to be alternatives to FDA-approved drugs or to have effects similar to prescription drugs.
- Products claiming to be a legal alternative to anabolic steroids.
- Products that are marketed primarily in a foreign language or those that are marketed through mass e-mails.
- Sexual enhancement products promising rapid effects such as working in minutes to hours, or long-lasting effects such as 24 hours to 72 hours.
- Products that provide warnings about testing positive in performance enhancement drug tests.
A new rapid public notification system also was launched on the FDA’s website to more quickly warn consumers about these products. The FDA also said it has established a mechanism for industry to alert FDA about those products and about the firms that make them.